I hate cliches, and I won’t write a new year’s one here.
As I always say, the perfect time to begin your writing project, or finish one is now.
Remember, dancers dance. Singers sing. Actors act. And if you want to be actually be a writer, write.
I’m giving you an easy-peasy writing help worksheet. This should be super quick if you define yourself as a writer. If you need a kick-start, here’s your push.
Four things writers need to do:
- Chose a word of the month you will live by.
- List your top three writing priorities for the month in “I will” statements.
- Write down what books you’re reading (or will be).
- Write in a paragraph what you will accomplish this month in your writing.
I am huge on “I will…” statements, and every writer should be.
We often say:
- I want to write a book
- One day I am going to finish this
- I’m looking into publishing
Change your “maybe” and “might” dos (that you almost never actually do) into I wills:
I will start writing that book this month
- I will finish this by (insert date here)
- I will research publishing, hire a coach, etc.
And remember, deadlines are a writer’s best friend and the cure to procrastination. Set yourself some.
Lastly, if you hold onto anything this year for your writing, let it be this: start saying “I will…” and diligently work on whatever follows.